Your Questions Answered


We will happily arrange for you to view any of them. Once you have chosen your property you may have various questions you may need answers to. We hope that this information will be helpful.

This information applies if you are taking a whole property not just a room.

What are our Administration Charges?

The charge is £95 inc VAT per adult tenant.

This charge covers the administrative costs including application and a proportion of the costs of preparing the contract which we will carry out. Please note the administration charge is non-refundable if you fail the referencing or you withdraw your application.

Are there any other costs?

There is a charge of £40 inc VAT for referencing each tenant.

If an inventory has been prepared there is a charge of £100 inc VAT at the end of the tenancy for the check out.

If the tenancy is renewed there is a charge of £80 inc VAT for administration costs.

During the tenancy, if the rent is paid late there is a charge of £10 for every week it is in arrears for the administration costs involved in reminders to the tenant.

How do we reserve a property?

You must place a holding deposit of £300 to reserve it. At this stage references will be applied for and a provisional date for commencing the tenancy will be set. However, should the landlord refuse your application for whatever reason, this deposit will be returned to you minus the administration charge and reference fee, if this has been applied for.

Your application and payment of the holding deposit does not guarantee a tenancy and that both the applicant(s) and the landlord can pull out at any time until the contract is signed.

How long is the term of the tenancy?

Usually 12 months with the option to renew it afterwards subject to the approval of the landlord. However, there can be a “break” clause in the contract [subject to agreement with the landlord prior to the commencement of the tenancy] so that with one month’s notice you can vacate any time after the first six months.

How soon could we move in?

As long as we have received your references and the date suits the landlord you could move in immediately. Please note though, that it usually takes at least four days for the referencing company to complete all checks.

What are all the costs to move in?

Dilapidations deposit (either equal to a month’s rent or six weeks’ rent)

First month’s rent

Administration fee of £95 inc VAT per adult and £40 inc VAT per adult referencing fee.

This needs to be paid in full before the tenancy can commence. If paid by cheque please allow a week for it to clear. You can make an internet transfer to our bank account (please contact us for the details) or pay in cash.

What about repairs to the property?

Don’t worry the landlord is responsible for most repairs including problems with the central heating. The tenant is responsible if the breakdown or repair is due to negligence or misuse. General repairs due to the tenant living in “a tenant-like manner” are also the tenant’s responsibility eg. replacing bulbs, fuses, tightening up screws that gradually get loose.

Are pets allowed?

Only if specially defined and agreed in advance.

What about insurance?

The landlord has his own insurance policy for the building and possibly his contents but you should have your own insurance for your personal possessions or for damage you may cause to the landlord’s contents. We will be happy to arrange inexpensive insurance for you.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions and we will be happy to help.

Now you are ready to have a look at our property list!

I have another question, what should I do?

We would love to hear from you, please view our contact us page with details of how to get in touch and find more answers to your questions.